Tips from Coach Sam for Club Prep
Preparing for club tryouts doesn’t have to be confusing. Here’s a list of tips and best practices from VAVA’s Coach Sam for ways you can prepare for upcoming tryouts.
- Do your research – Find out what clubs are in the area and what the financial, time, and travel commitments are for each team.
- Find your age eligibility – What age group are you trying out for? Refer to the USAV Age Definition Chart to ensure you have a clear understanding of what the age cutoffs are.
- Attend clinics and/or introduce yourself to the Coaches for your age group.
- Complete your tryout registration. CHRVA prohibits coaches from making recruiting contact with players once the tryout period begins unless the player is signed up for tryouts or they reach out first.
- Complete your USAV/CHRVA Membership and bring a copy of the membership (or QR code) to tryouts. Please be sure you register for the correct membership.
- Confirm both tryout dates and tryout locations as this will keep you organized to avoid any potential scheduling conflicts.
- Discuss club options with your family to decide what is best once you receive your offer(s). At the Virginia Volleyball Academy (VAVA), players receiving offers are guaranteed their spot until the Tuesday after tryouts.
- Read up and understand club/team policies and guidelines.
- Be transparent and honest with clubs and coaches throughout the process.
- This can be a complicated and stressful process for players, parents, and coaches. Don’t hesitate to reach out to the respective club with questions!
Good luck and see you at tryouts!
Comments are closed